Friday, June 6, 2008

Romance and JavaScript

I just received a book order from O'Reilly Media. It didn't quite go as planned...
Here is the email I sent their customer service department.

I daresay there was a problem with the book order I just received. I had ordered CSS Pocket Reference (9780596515058), HTML and XHTML Pocket Reference (9780596527273), and JavaScript Pocket Reference (9780596004118). I received the CSS and HTML Pocket References, however, instead of the JavaScript Pocket Reference, I received "On a Wild Night", a paperback romance novel by Stephanie Laurens. Needless to say, this is not what I want. While I appreciate O'Reilly Media trying to add some excitement and romantic zest to my life, I'm far more in need of exciting JavaScript flings at the moment. I can't even imagine how this book was placed in my order, since O'Reilly Media focuses on technical computer books, and doesn't even sell this book. Perhaps Ms. Laurens is not selling as many books as she would like, and is subverting O'Reilly's shipping department by slipping in copies of her books to unsuspecting customers, in the hopes they will enjoy it and buy more?

In any case, please send the JavaScript Pocket Reference, as that would be absolutely wonderful. Again, the order number is 171212.11860740.

Yours in romance,
Matthew Harrison



EDIT: This was replied to by a very nice customer service rep named Tammie. She said I made her Friday and she loves my humor =) She's going to send me the JavaScript book, and in addition, said I could pick ANY O'Reilly book and she would send that as well! So I picked Mind Performance Hacks, and as an added, super-awesome bonus, Tammie said she included an additional surprise book for me! (It's this book).

Talk about caring about your customers! O'Reilly not only has an awesome collection of books that any geek desires to have, but they clearly have really good customer support. O'Reilly++

1 comment:

private said...

I love it. I wish I had the cash to grab some books from them, but they certainly hooked you up. That's too funny though.